There is nothing I love more than an excuse to eat chocolate, especially when it's in cupcake form. Thankfully, my boyfriend's birthday has come up, and I have decided that I needed to take on the challenge of making some cupcakes!
Usually I make the standard cupcake with the icing and boom - there you go. However, I recently (well, kind of not really recent) found the marshmallow method to use instead of icing. I tried it out for my niece's birthday, making chocolate cupcakes with the melted marshmallow on top. After making those, I came up with an idea - I needed to some how to turn those cupcakes into s'more ones!
And that is what I have for you today! Enjoy!
What You Need:
1 box of chocolate cake mix (or you can use your own recipe - I'm just lazy hehe)
Any ingredients your cake mix calls for (eggs, water, oil, etc)
12 large marshmallows (they will be cut in half to make 24)
Graham Crackers to place on top
24 cupcake liners
What You Do:
1. The first thing is to always preheat your oven! In my case, the box of cake mix says to preheat it to 350F.
2. Go ahead and combine the ingredients (water, eggs, oil, etc) with your cake mix. Once you have your mixture, evenly divide the mix into 24 cupcake liners. I find it easy to do this by using an ice cream/cookie scoop, so you have really even cupcakes. Also, be sure to only fill the lines 3/4 full, so the cupcakes room to rise.
3. Slide the cupcakes into the oven and let them bake for the needed time. Next, allow the cupcakes to cool completely before doing anything else. Handling hot baked goods is a no go!
4. While the cupcakes are cooling, spoon a good amount of nutella into a plastic bag or even a piping bag. If you use a plastic bag, cut a small corner off to create a tip to squeeze the nutella through. You will then use a utensil to cut a small hole in the middle of the cupcake when completely cooled. This is where you will pipe the nutella into.
5. When all cupcakes are filled with the delicious nutella, take your twelve big marshmallows and split each one in half. You can most certainly use whole ones, but I used whole ones the first time I made this and they kept falling off. The stickiness from the inside of the marshmallow will help it stay on your cupcake.
6. Next, you are going to toast your marshmallows because that's the best part of s'mores, right? You can either use a torch to do this or slide them back in the oven to use the broiler. I don't have a torch, so I used the broiler. If you do the same, be very careful and never take your eye off them! They will burn to a crisp way quicker than you think!
7. After your mallows are all nice and toasted, grab your graham crackers! You can do what you please with these - sprinkle them on top, lay them on top, or break off a piece and stick it right through the marshmallow! I actually found it cuter to stick it through the cupcake! :)
8. Now, you're all done and have an adorable S'mores Cupcakes!